American democracy is in crisis. State governments are creating barriers to the ballot box, especially for minorities. Partisan lawmakers are using gerrymandering to rig elections in their favor. Foreign adversaries are targeting our voting systems. A flood of big money, much of it from secret donors, is drowning out the voices of ordinary Americans. And too many of those in power are using their positions to benefit themselves, not to serve the public interest.
In short, our political process doesn't give everyone an equal say. And the result is a government whose decisions too often don't reflect the will of voters — leaving it unable to address our most urgent challenges.
Americans are hungry for reform. In 2018, voters approved a record number of state ballot initiatives that strengthened democracy, and a wave of candidates swept into Washington demanding change. Now, Congress must act.
The For The People Act, also known as H.R.1, would transform our democracy, making it fairer, stronger, and more inclusive.
H.R. 1 would:
- Make it easier to vote by streamlining voter registration, expanding early voting, and committing to restore the Voting Rights Act to full strength — so that all voices can be heard;
- Fix our campaign funding system through an innovative reform that boosts the power of ordinary people — so that politicians are beholden to voters, not billionaires and corporations;
- End partisan gerrymandering by ensuring that district lines are drawn through a fair process — so that people pick their representatives, not the other way around;
- Update aging voting infrastructure to protect against foreign cyberattacks and machine malfunctions — so that Americans can have confidence in the integrity of our elections; and
- Strengthen ethics rules aimed at curbing corruption — so that we can ensure those running our government are doing the people's business, not their own.
To learn more about H.R. 1, check out the following resources:
Read analysis and commentary from the Brennan Center and others on H.R. 1 and Democracy Reform.
Hearings and testimony related to H.R. 1, the For the People Act of 2019.
Americans overwhelmingly support key democracy reforms. Momentum is building across the country.
A broad national coalition has united behind the push for sweeping democracy reform.