Advances in Voter Registration Modernization
- Online Voter Registration: Hawaii launched online voter registration through the Office of Elections in 2015. Eligible citizens with a state driver’s license or non-driver ID can use the system to register to vote and update their registration information.
- Same Day Registration: Hawaii implemented limited same day registration in 2016. Voters can register and vote on the same day during the in-person early voting period, though they cannot do so on Election Day. Hawaii will implement Election Day registration in 2018.
- Portability: Registered voters who move within the state without updating their registration can, on Election Day, fill out a change of address form at their new polling place and cast a regular ballot.
- Preregistration: 16- and 17-year-olds can preregister to vote. Those who preregister can vote once they turn 18 without needing to re-register.
Gains from Voter Registration Modernization in Hawaii
- Between the 2015 launch of online voter registration and the November 2016 election, the state received 24,724 new voter registration applications through its online portal.
Stay up to date