Call Your Senator to Fix the Filibuster!
Early in January, the U.S. Senate has a chance to pass rules to curb the endless filibustering that has brought the chamber to a halt. The vote will be close — and we would appreciate it if you would lend your voice to reform.
In recent years, the use of the filibuster has grown exponentially, paralyzing lawmaking in Congress. Over the past two years, more motions were made to prevent bills from being openly debated than during any other Congressional session in history.
This abuse of the rules is undermining basic democratic processes.
We hope you will urge your Senator to support Senate Rules Reform. Call 1–866–937–5062 or text FIXTHESENATE to 69866. We hope you will stress, in particular, the importance of the “talking filibuster.” That key provision would require lawmakers who want to filibuster to actually go to the Senate floor and do it. Remarkably, today those senators merely have to announce their intention to obstruct, and they have induced paralysis.
Unless the Senate fixes the filibuster, crucial solutions will continue to languish in a chamber where little gets done. It marks the first step in revitalizing Congress so members of all parties can work together to overcome the nation’s challenges.
Thanks for doing your part!
For additional resources, see:
- Curbing Filibuster Abuse (Brennan Center, November 2012), which details the sharp rise of legislative obstruction in the Senate and offers a blueprint for reform.
- See also this letter that leading academics and scholars sent last week to members of the Senate explaining why filibuster reform is constitutional and appropriate.
Stay Connected, Stay Informed
- For daily voting rights developments and the latest commentary from our experts, be sure to visit the Brennan Center’s website.
- See all of our newsletters — Voting Newsletter, Justice Update, Fair Courts E-Lert, and general bi-weekly newsletter.
- Make a donation to the Brennan Center
- Follow the Brennan Center: