Note: The Brennan Center is not a participant in this case.
On February 12, 2020, a Nevada voter appealed to the Nevada Supreme Court a state court order that rewrote the gist of Fair Maps Nevada’s redistricting reform ballot initiative. Although the plaintiff had sought and won a challenge to the validity of the initiative’s gist, he alleges that the state court lacked the authority rewrite the gist.
Fair Maps Nevada filed a motion to dismiss and for sanctions on February 18 and, on February 21, a cross-appeal of the same state court order that the voter has appealed.
On March 26, 2020, the Supreme Court denied the motion to dismiss and for sanctions. On July 24, 2020, the Supreme Court issued an order affirming the judgment of the district court, stating it was not persuaded by the plaintiffs’ argument. The Supreme Court also dismissed the cross-appeal by Fair Maps Nevada as moot.
Nevada Supreme Court
- Notice of Appeal (February 12, 2020)
- Motion to Dismiss and for Sanctions (February 18, 2020)
- Notice of Cross-Appeal (February 21, 2020)
- Brief in Response to Motion to Dismiss (February 26, 2020)
- Reply Brief in Support of Motion to Dismiss (March 3, 2020)
- Order Denying Motion to Dismiss (March 26, 2020)
- Appellant’s Opening Brief (March 27, 2020)
- Appellant’s Motion to Expedite (March 27, 2020)
- Respondent’s Motion to Expedite (April 6, 2020)
- Respondent’s Brief in Response and Opening Brief on Cross-Appeal (April 6, 2020)
- Appellant’s Reply Brief and Answering Brief on Cross-Appeal (April 24, 2020)
- Respondent’s Reply Brief on Cross-Appeal (April 29, 2020)
- Order of Affirmance (July 24, 2020)