Advances in Voter Registration Modernization
- Electronic Voter Registration: Virginia launched electronic voter registration at DMV offices in 2016. Information is electronically transferred from DMV offices to election officials.
- Online Voter Registration: Virginia launched online voter registration through the Department of Elections in 2013. Eligible citizens with a state driver’s license or non-driver ID can use the system to register to vote and update their registration information.
- Electronic Pollbooks: Virginia authorizes the use of e-pollbooks at the local level.
Gains from Voter Registration Modernization in Virginia
The steps Virginia has taken thus far have yielded increases in voter registration and financial benefits for the state. For example:
- During a July 2013 interview with Brennan Center staff, Virginia election officials expected to see cost savings from online registration due to the reduced need to hire temporary staff before elections.
- Virginia implemented online registration at a cost of approximately $81,000.
- Between November 2014 and November 2016, the state received 310,188 new voter registration applications through its online portal.
Stay up to date