Advances in Voter Registration Modernization
- Electronic Voter Registration: New Mexico launched electronic voter registration at Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) offices in 2015. Individuals submit registration information and provide their signature on a touchscreen device. The information is transferred electronically twice daily to county clerk’s offices, which print and maintain a hard copy of the form with the county register.
- Online Voter Registration: New Mexico launched online voter registration through the Secretary of State’s office in 2016. Eligible citizens with a state driver’s license or non-driver ID can use the system to register to vote and update their registration information.
- Electronic Pollbooks: New Mexico authorizes the use of e-pollbooks at the county level.
- Election Day Registration: New Mexico will implement Election Day registration by 2021.
Gains from Voter Registration Modernization in New Mexico
- Between the 2016 launch of online voter registration and the November 2016 election, the state received 35,789 new voter registration applications through its online portal.
Stay up to date