Ohio A. Philip Randolph Inst. v. Smith
The Ohio A. Philip Randolph Institute, the League of Women Voters of Ohio, and a group of Ohio residents filed suit contenting Ohio’s 2011 congressional map is an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander that violates the First and Fourteenth Amendment and Article I of the U.S. Constitution. The plaintiffs argue the map was intentionally designed to give Republicans an 12-4 advantage and entrench their power over the course of the decade. This skewed partisan advantage, the suit argues, prevents large segments of Ohio’s voters from having their votes meaningfully reflected in their congressional delegation.
The plaintiffs are asking the court to enjoin the state from using the current congressional plan in any future elections and to require the state to adopt a new plan. The plaintiffs are also asking the court to enjoin the legislature from creating new maps with the intent or effect of penalizing voters based upon their political beliefs or affiliations.
A trial date has been scheduled for March 4, 2019.
On August 15, the court denied the defendants' motion to dismiss, permitting the plaintiffs to proceed on all of their claims.
On August 16, the panel permitted members of the Republican congressional delegation, Ohio voters, and Republican party organizations to intervene in the case.
- Complaint (May 23, 2018)
- Plaintiffs' Motion to Expedite (June 11, 2018)
- Defendants' Position Statement (June 11, 2018)
- First Amended Complaint (June 26, 2018)
- Second Amended Complaint (July 11, 2018)
- Scheduling Order (July 17, 2018)
- Motion to Intervene (July 20, 2018)
- Memorandum in Support of Motion to Intervene (July 20, 2018)
- Defendants' Motion to Dismiss (July 20, 2018)
- Plaintiffs' Brief in Opposition to Defendants' Motion to Dismiss (August 3, 2018)
- Plaintiffs' Brief in Opposition to Motion to Intervene (August 3, 2018)
- Defendants' Brief in Support of Motion to Dismiss (August 10, 2018)
- Intervenor Applicants' Brief in Support of Motion to Intervene (August 10, 2018)
- Order Denying Motion to Dismiss (August 15, 2018)
- Order Granting Motion to Intervene (August 16, 2018)
- Intervenors' Answer to the Second Amended Complaint (August 28, 2018)
- Plaintiffs' Notice of Disclosure of Proposed Remedial Map (September 28, 2018)
- Plaintiffs' Proposed Remedial Map (September 28, 2018)