Shelby County v. Holder Case Documents
All the amicus briefs and Supreme Court documents submitted in the pivotal Shelby County v. Holder case.
On June 25, 2013, the Supreme Court gutted a key provision of the Voting Rights Act in Shelby County v. Holder. The effects of this decision has been cataclysmic for opening the door for more assaults on voting rights throughout the nation. This page contains the documents from this pivotal case, including amicus briefs submitted and the Supreme Court documents.
Supreme Court Documents
- Supreme Court Decision
- Brief of Petitioner Shelby County
- Brief of Respondent United States
- Brief for Respondent-Intervenors Earl Cunningham et al.
- Brief for Respondent-Intervenors Bobby Pierson et al.
- Brief for Respondent-Intervenor Bobby Lee Harris
Amicus Briefs Filed On Behalf of Respondent and/or Respondent-Intervenors
- Brief of the Brennan Center for Justice
- Brief of Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid
- Brief for the States of New York, California, Mississippi, and North Carolina
- Brief of Professor Patricia A. Broussard, Sabrina Collins, Stacy Hane, Akunna Olumba and Named Students and Organizations of Florida A&M University College of Law
- Brief of Reps. F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr., John Conyers, Jr., Steve Chabot, Jerrold Nadler, Melvin L. Watt, and Robert C. Scott
- Brief of the Veterans of the Mississippi Civil Rights Movement
- Brief of Alabama Legislative Black Caucus and Alabama Association of Black County Officials
- Brief of American Bar Association
- Brief of Jurisdictions that Have Bailed Out
- Brief of Constitutional Law Scholars and Constitutional Accountability Center
- Brief of Dick Thornburgh, Drew S. Days, III, John R. Dunne, Bill Lann Lee, J. Stanley Pottinger, Paul F. Hancock, James P. Turner, William R. Yeomans, Brian K. Landsberg, and Gilda R. Daniels
- Brief of Gabriel Chin, Atiba Ellis, Christopher S. Elmendorf, Janai S. Nelson, Bertrall Ross, Daniel Tokaji, and Franita Tolson
- Brief of Joaquin Avila, Neil Bradley, Julius Chambers, U.S. Clemon, Armand Derfner, Jose Garza, Fred Gray, Robert McDuff, Rolando Rios, Robert Rubin, Edward Still, Ellis Turnage, and Ronald Wilson
- Brief of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and the Leadership Conference Education Fund et al.
- Brief for Marcia Fudge, Ruben Hinojosa, and Judy Chu
- Brief of National Latino Organizations
- Brief of National Lawyers Guild
- Brief of Political Science and Law Professors
- Brief for Professors Richard Engstrom, Theodore Arrington, and David Canon
- Brief of Senator Bradley Hutto, Senator Gerald Malloy, Senator John Scott, Jr., Representative Gilda Cobb-Hunter, and the League of Women Voters of South Carolina
- Brief of the Navajo Nation, Leonard Gorman, Anthony Wounded Head, Sr., and Oliver J. Semans, Sr.
- Brief for the Alaska Federation of Natives, Alaska Native Voters and Tribes
- Brief for Asian American Public Interest Groups
- Brief for Ellen D. Katz and the Voting Rights Initiative
- Brief for Historians and Social Scientists
- Brief for the Honorable Congressman John Lewis
- Brief for National Bar Association