VRM in the States: Idaho
Idaho currently has the Election Day Registration and Portability components of Voter Registration Modernization in place.
February 1, 2017
Advances in Voter Registration Modernization
- Online Voter Registration: Idaho authorized online voter registration in 2016, but it has not yet been implemented.
- Election Day Registration: Idaho implemented Election Day registration in 1994. Individuals may register and vote at the polls on Election Day or at their absent elector’s polling place during the early voting period.
- Portability: Registered voters who move within their county without updating their registration can, on Election Day, re-register at their new polling place and cast a regular ballot. Registered voters who move to a new county within the state at least 30 days before an election can re-register at their new polling place and cast a regular ballot. Those who move to a new county within the state fewer than 30 days before an election can vote at their former precinct.
- Electronic Pollbooks: Five out of 44 Idaho counties used electronic pollbooks in 2014.
Gains from Voter Registration Modernization in Idaho
- For the 2014 general election, same day registrations constituted 13.8% of all registrations received in the two years preceding the election.