The NYPD: A Resource Page
The Brennan Center has issued fact sheets, op-eds, blog posts, and proposals highlighting the need for oversight of our nation's largest police force. This page is a compilation of this work.
After repeated calls from civil liberties groups to install a mechanism for monitoring the New York Police Department, the New York City Council passed a bill establishing an inspector general for the department in June 2013. Despite a veto from then-Mayor Bloomberg and subsequent override by the City Council, Philip Eure was named as the first-ever Inspector General for the NYPD. He officially began his job as IG in May 2014.
The Brennan Center applauds the creation of Inspector General for the NYPD, based on a proposal issued by the Brennan Center in 2012, as a victory for all New Yorkers and continues to follow NYPD activity, such as their Muslim surveillance program, to ensure that all New Yorkers are treated fairly in the department's effort to keep the city safe.
Below are fact sheets, op-eds, blog posts, and press coverage related to the monitoring and oversight of our nation's largest police force.
- NYPD Inspector General Bill: A Fact Sheet (May 28, 2013)
- NYPD Inspector General: Fact v. Fiction (March 28, 2013)
- A Proposal for an NYPD Inspector General (October 9, 2012)
- Unchecked NYPD Operations in Need of Oversight (October 6, 2011).
- Testimony in Support of NYPD Muslim Surveillance Lawsuit Settlements (April 6, 2016)
- Testimony to New York City Council on Expanding the NYPD's Body-Worn Camera Program, by Michael Price (June 29, 2015)
- Letter to New York City Council in Support of Oversight for NYPD, by Frederick A. O. (“Fritz”) Schwarz, Jr., Victor A. Kovner, and Peter L. Zimroth (March 28, 2013).
- Testimony Before New York City Council Public Safety Committee Hearing on Community Safety Act, by Faiza Patel (October 10, 2012).
- Testimony for Hearing on Ending Racial Profiling in America, by Faiza Patel and Elizabeth Goitein (April 17, 2012).
- NYPD Agrees to Settle Muslim Surveillance Cases, Reform Policy (January 7, 2016)
- Grabell v. New York Police Department (November 2, 2015)
- Abdur Rashid v. New York City Police Department (August 5, 2015)
- Hassan et al. v. City of New York (July 10, 2014)
- Lawsuit Alleges NYPD Surveillance of Muslims is Discriminatory (June 18, 2013).
- Settlement of NYPD Muslim Surveillance Lawsuits: A Platform for Better Oversight, Faiza Patel and Michael Price (Just Security, January 15, 2016)
- Muslims and American Fear, Faiza Patel (New York Daily News, October 25, 2015)
- What the Third Circuit Said in Hassan v. City of New York, Faiza Patel (Just Security, October 14, 2015)
- NYPD vs. Muslims: The Bias Continues, Faiza Patel and Michael Price (New York Daily News, June 23, 2014)
- NYPD Must Ditch Discriminatory Muslim Surveillance Program For Its Own Good, Faiza Patel (Al Jazeera America, October 30, 2013)
- The NYPD Must Stop all Racial and Religious Profiling, Michael Price (MSNBC, August 16, 2013)
- What Is the CIA Teaching the NYPD?, Faiza Patel and Daniel Michelson-Horowitz (Defense One, August 15, 2013)
- An Inspector General for the Police: An Assurance of Constitutional Safeguards, Faiza Patel (New York Times' Room for Debate, April 9, 2013).
- Oversight Will Help, Not Hurt, the NYPD, Frederick A. O. (“Fritz”) Schwarz, Jr. and Victor A. Kovner (New York Daily News, March 28, 2013).
- NYPD Muslim Spying Operation Takes 'Security' to an Unjustified Extreme, Faiza Patel and Amos Toh (The Guardian, February 6, 2013).
- Religious Profiling: An Unwelcome Guest, Elizabeth (Liza) Goitein and Faiza Patel (The Hill's Congress Blog, April 17, 2012).
- Surveillance of American Muslims: A Tale of Three Cities, Faiza Patel and Michael Price (Al Jazeera, April 12, 2012 ).
- The NYPD Needs Policing, Faiza Patel and Elizabeth (Liza) Goitein (The New York Times, January 30, 2012).
- NYPD Goes Too Far in Monitoring Muslims, Faiza Patel, (New York Daily News, October 14, 2011).
- Activists on Film: Police Body Cameras and the First Amendments, Brynne O'Neal (June 20, 2016)
- Why the Surveillance State Is Everybody's Problem, Rachel Levinson-Waldman (May 12, 2015)
- NYPD Targeting of New York Muslims Continues, Meghan Koushik (August 20, 2014)
- Surveillance Should Be Top Priority for New NYPD Inspector General, Michael Price and Megan Graham (May 27, 2014)
- Muslims Push Back Against NYPD Surveillance, Faiza Patel and Michael Price (June 24, 2013).
- Independent Oversight Needed to Curb NYPD Stop and Frisk Abuse, Experts Say, Shannon Parker (May 30, 2013).
- Improving LGBT Police Relations Through an NYPD Inspector General, Amos Toh (April 2, 2013).
- Another Call for NYPD Oversight, Erik Opsal (February 22, 2012).
- The NYPD: Making the FBI Look Good, Faiza Patel and Andrew Sullivan (December 1, 2011).
- Lawyers Take NYPD to Court, Faiza Patel (October 4, 2011).
- NYPD Announces End of Muslim Demographics Unit, Brennan Center (April 15, 2014)
- The Brennan Center Welcomes de Blasio Administration's Pick for NYPD Inspector General, Brennan Center (March 28, 2014)
- Mayor de Blasio Takes First Step in Reforming Stop-and-Frisk Program, Brennan Center (January 30, 2014)
- Bratton Has Opportunity to Repair Community Relations as NYPD Commissioner, Brennan Center (December 5, 2013)
- Brennan Center Applauds City Council for Overriding Mayor's Veto on NYPD Inspector General Bill, Brennan Center (August 22, 2013)
- Brennan Center: Monitor Would Work in Tandem with Inspector General, Brennan Center (August 12, 2013)
- Brennan Center Applauds Passage of Bill to Create Inspector General for NYPD, Brennan Center (June 27, 2013).
- Statement on Lawsuit vs. NYPD on Illegal Surveillance of Muslim Americans, Brennan Center (February 4, 2013)
- New Proposal Calls for the Creation of an Inspector General for the NYPD, Brennan Center (October 9, 2012)
- Latest Surveillance Allegations Show Need for NYPD Oversight, Brennan Center (February 22, 2012)
- City Council Members, Civil Rights Advocates Press Conference Puts Spotlight on NYPD Operations, Brennan Center (October 6, 2011)
- Brennan Center, Muslim Advocates, AALDEF Request Intelligence Records, Brennan Center (September 21, 2011)
- Judge cites federal precedent to shield NYPD surveillance, Capital, (September 24, 2014)
- To Fight Terrorism: Collaborate - Up To a Point, NYPD Confidential, (July 14, 2014)
- NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton Disbands Unit Responsible for Spying on Muslim Communities, New York Daily News, (April 16, 2014)
- NYPD (Finally) Gets Independent Oversight, ColorLines, (March 28, 2014)
- DC's Philip Eure Appointed NYPD Inspector General, New York Daily News, (March 28, 2014)
- NYPD Inspector General Named, NY1, (March 28, 2014)
- NYPD's Ray Kelly Defends Controversial Policing Practices in Appeal to Public, The Guardian, (July 24, 2013)
- The NYPD Must Stop all Racial and Religious Profiling, MSNBC, (August 16, 2013). Interview with Michael Price.
- An Inspector General for the Police: An Assurance of Constitutional Safeguards, The New York Times, (April 9, 2013)
- Fixing the NYPD's LGBT Problem, The Advocate, (April 9, 2013)
- I.G. for NYPD Wins Support from 3 Former Corporation Counsels, Andrew Keshner, The New York Law Journal (April 2, 2013).
- NYC Mayoral Hopeful Chris Quinn Touts Support For Her Backing of NYPD Inspector General, Celeste Katz, New York Daily News (March 28, 2013).
- Oversight Will Help, Not Hurt, the NYPD, New York Daily News, (March 28, 2013)
- Do We Need An NYPD Inspector General?, What Really Matters NYC (March 27, 2013). Interview with Faiza Patel.
- What Would a Police Inspector General Mean for the City? A Policy Brief, Gotham Gazette, (March 26, 2013)
- Mayoral Candidates Criticizing NYPD On Stop and Frisk Punt on Muslim Surveillance, Matt Sledge, Huffington Post (February 12, 2013).
- NYPD Muslim Spying Operation Takes 'Security' to an Unjustified Extreme, The Guardian, (February 6, 2013)
- NYPD Spying on Muslim Community, Andrea Sears, WBAI (February 5, 2013). Interview with Faiza Patel.
- Deputy commissioner calls proposed inspector general for NYPD 'wasteful', Cassandra Garrison, Metro NY (December 3, 2012).
- NYPD Oversight, Independent Inspector General Eyed at Panel Discussion at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Jennifer Peltz, Huffington Post (October 24, 2012).
- Inspector General for NYPD, New York Law Journal (October 11, 2012).