VRM in the States: Florida
February 1, 2017
Advances in Voter Registration Modernization
- Electronic Voter Registration: Florida launched electronic voter registration at DMV offices in 2006. DMV clerks enter voters’ vocal responses electronically and collect signatures on an electronic pad. Voter registration information is transferred daily to election officials.
- Online Voter Registration: Florida will launch online voter registration in 2017.
- Portability: Registered voters who either move within the state to a new county that uses electronic pollbooks or move within their own county can, on Election Day, fill out a change of address form at their new polling place and cast a regular ballot. Individuals who move within the state to a new county that does not use electronic pollbooks can cast a provisional ballot at their new polling place if they did not update their address prior to Election Day.
- Electronic Pollbooks: Fifty-five out of 67 Florida counties used electronic pollbooks to sign in voters in 2014.
Gains from Voter Registration Modernization in Florida
- During a May 2013 interview with Brennan Center staff, Florida election officials reported that electronic voter registration has streamlined application processing and reduced the time and effort needed to verify applicant eligibility.