Mover's Guide: New Hampshire

August 10, 2010

Elections Division:  603-271-3242

I moved from the address at which I am registered.  What should I do?

I moved from another state.

If you moved to New Hampshire from another state, you must register to vote in New Hampshire to be able to vote.[1]  You can register on Election Day at the polls.[2]  You may also register with your town clerk or your community’s supervisors of the checklist up to 10 days prior to the election.[3]

If you moved from out of state, you may register to vote the same day you become a resident of the State of New Hampshire.[4]

I moved within New Hampshire.

If you moved to a new town or ward, you should complete a new registration form to update your registration records.[5]  You can register to vote on Election Day.

The election is right around the corner and I never updated my registration from my previous address.  What should I do?

New Hampshire allows voters to register to vote on Election Day.[6]

New Hampshire voters who move are still entitled to cast a ballot that will be counted — even if they did not notify the appropriate election official about the move before Election Day.

Scenario One: New Address, but Same Polling Place

If you moved to a new address that is covered by the same polling place as your old address, you can vote a regular ballot at that polling place after confirming your change of address at the polling place. This is true regardless of how close to the election you moved.[7]

Scenario Two: New Address and New Polling Place  

You can register to vote at your new polling place on Election Day and then vote.[8]  There is no minimum period of residency required to register to vote.[9]

To register to vote on Election Day, you have to show proof of citizenship, identity, age, and residence.[10]  If you are registered to vote elsewhere in New Hampshire and are registering to vote at your new polling place, however, you do not have to show proof of citizenship or age.[11]  The following forms of proof are acceptable:[12]

  • Citizenship: applicant's birth certificate, passport, naturalization papers if the applicant is a naturalized citizen, a qualified voter affidavit, or any other reasonable documentation which indicates the applicant is a United States citizen.
  • Age: Any reasonable documentation indicating the applicant is 18 years of age or older.
  • Residence: Any reasonable documentation which indicates that the applicant lives and intends to continue living in the town, city or ward in which he or she desires to vote, or an affidavit confirming the applicant lives in the town, city or ward if the applicant does not have reasonable documentation in his or her possession at the polling place on Election Day.
  • Identity: Photo-identification, verification of identity by another person registered as a voter and known to the supervisor or clerk, or completion of a qualified voter affidavit.

[1] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 659:12 (2010).

[2] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:7-a.

[3] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:27.

[4] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:1.

[5] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:12(IV) (2010). 

[6] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:7-a.

[7] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 659:13.

[8] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:7-a.

[9] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:1.  See also New Hampshire Secretary of State, How to Register to Vote, (last visited June 7, 2010).

[10] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:12 (III).

[11] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:12(IV).

[12] N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 654:12.