Mover's Guide: Connecticut

August 10, 2010

Legislation and Elections Administration Division: 1-800-540-3764

I moved from the address at which I am registered.  What should I do?

I moved from another state.

If you moved to Connecticut from another state, you must register to vote in Connecticut to be able to vote.[1]  Unless you register in person, the last day to register in time to vote in the next election by mail is fourteen days before a general election and five days before a primary election.[2]  If you register in person at the town clerk’s office, the last day to register in time to vote in the next election is seven days before a general election and noon on the day before a primary election.[3]

If you moved from out of state, you may register to vote the same day you become a resident of the State of Connecticut.[4] Under federal law, if you move within thirty days of a presidential election, you are allowed to vote for President and Vice President in your former state of residence, either in person or by absentee ballot.[5]

I moved within Connecticut.

If you moved within the same town you should submit a signed request to transfer your records from your old address to your new address in order to update your registration records. [6]

If you moved to a new address in a different town, you should complete a new registration form to update your records.  That form is available here:

The election is right around the corner and I never updated my registration from my previous address.  What should I do?

If you moved to a new address in the same municipality since you last voted, you should contact your local election official to find out the location of your current polling place.  Election officials may have changed your registration record to reflect your new address even if you did not notify election officials about the move.  If your registration information has been changed to your current address, you should go to the polling place associated with that address to vote.

Many registered Connecticut voters who move are still entitled to cast a ballot that will be counted — even if they did not notify the appropriate election official about their move before Election Day and the election official has not changed their registration.

Scenario One: New Address, but Same Polling Place

If you moved to a new address that is covered by the same polling place as your old address, you can vote a regular ballot at that polling place after confirming your change of address at that polling place.  This is true regardless of how close to the election you moved.[7]

Scenario Two: New Address in Same Municipality but New Polling Place

If you moved to a new address within the same municipality but with a different polling place, you are entitled to vote a regular ballot  at the polling place associated with your new address if you transfer your registration with municipal election officials, or registrars of voters.  If you attempt to transfer registration on Election Day, both registrars must approve the request.[8]

If the registrars cannot confirm that you are registered in the municipality, or if both registrars do not agree to transfer the voter registration, then you can vote by provisional ballot.[9]  The provisional ballot will be counted if you are registered in the municipality.[10]

Scenario Three: New Address in New Municipality

If you moved to a new address in a different municipality (city, borough, or town), you must register to vote at the new address to be eligible to vote.[11]

[1] Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 9-12(a) (West 2010).

[2] Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 9-23g(d)(2). 

[3] Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. §§ 9-19b(a), -17(a), -23a. 

[4] Nicholls v. Schaffer, 344 F.Supp. 238 (D. Conn. 1972) (striking down Connecticut’s constitutional and statutory six-month residency requirement for voting as a violation of equal protection).

[5] 42 U.S.C. § 1973aa-1(e) (2010).

[6] Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 9-35(e) (West 2010).

[7] 42 U.S.C. § 1973gg-6(e)(1).

[8] Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann..§ 9-35(e).

[9] Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 9-232l(a).

[10] Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 9-232n.

[11] See State of Connecticut Mail-In Voter Registration,