Mover's Guide: Arkansas

August 10, 2010

State Board of Elections: 800-411-6996

I moved from the address at which I am registered.  What should I do?

I moved from another state.

If you moved to Arkansas from another state, you must register to vote in Arkansas to be able to vote.[1]  The last day to register in time to vote in the next election is thirty days before the election.[2]

If you moved from out of state, you may register to vote the same day you become a resident of the State of Arkansas.[3]  Under federal law, if you move within 30 days of a presidential election, you are allowed to vote for President or Vice President in your former state of residence, either in person or by absentee ballot.[4]

I moved within Arkansas.

If you moved within your county, you should complete a mail-in registration form or go to a voter registration agency to update your address.[5]

If you moved to another county within the state, you should complete a new registration form to update your registration records.[6]  That form is available here:

The election is right around the corner and I never updated my registration from my previous address.  What should I do?

If you moved to a new address in the same county and congressional district since you last voted, you should contact your local election official to find out the location of your current polling place.  Election officials may have changed your registration record to reflect your new address even if you did not notify the election official about the move.  If your registration information has been changed to your current address, you should go to the polling place associated with that address to vote.

Many registered Arkansas voters who move are still entitled to cast a ballot that will be counted — even if they did not notify the appropriate election official about their move before Election Day and the election official has not changed their registration.

Scenario One: New Address, but Same Polling Place

If you moved to a new address that is covered by the same polling place as your old address, you can vote at that polling place after confirming your change of address.  This is true regardless of how close to the election you moved.[7]

Scenario Two: New Address in Same County and Congressional District, but New Polling Place

If you moved to a new address within the same county and congressional district but with a different polling place, you are entitled to vote a regular ballot at the polling place for your new address after confirmation from the county clerk that you are registered in the county and congressional district.[8]  You must confirm your current address, fill out a new voter registration application form and sign the voter registration list.[9]

Scenario Three: New Address in New County or New Congressional District

If you moved to a new address in a different county or a different congressional district, you should transfer your registration to your new address by contacting your county clerk or completing a new registration form.[10]  If the updated registration information is received in the office of the county clerk by the fourth day before a scheduled election, you are entitled to vote a regular ballot in your new precinct.[11]

[1] Ark. Code Ann. § 7-5-201(a) (2010).

[2] Ark. Code Ann. § 7-5-201(a) (2010).

[3] Smith v. Climer, 341 F. Supp. 123 (E.D. Ark. 1972) (striking down state and county durational residency requirements); Meyers v. Jackson, 390 F. Supp. 37 (E.D. Ark. 1975) (striking down precinct durational residency requirement).

[4] 42 U.S.C. § 1973aa-1(e) (2010).

[5] Ark. Const. amend. LI, § 10(a).

[6] Ark. Const. amend. LI, §§ 10(b)(1), 10(d)(2).

[7] 42 U.S.C. § 1973gg-6(e)(1) (2010).

[8] Ark. Code Ann. § 7-5-306(a)(1) (2010).

[9] Ark. Code Ann. § 7-5-306(a)(2)–(4).

[10] Ark. Const. amend. LI, §§ 10(b)(1), 10(d)(2).

[11] Ark. Const. amend. LI, § 10(b)(2).