Mover's Guide: Alaska

August 10, 2010

Division of Elections:  866-952-8683

I moved from the address at which I am registered.  What should I do?

I moved from another state.

If you moved to Alaska from another state, you must register to vote in Alaska to be able to vote.[1]  The last day to register in time to vote in the next election is thirty days before the election.[2]  You can register in person, by mail, by fax or online.[3]

If you moved from out of state, you are only eligible to register if you have been a resident of Alaska and the house district in which you want to vote for at least thirty days prior to the day of the election in which you want to vote.[4]  But under federal law, if you move within thirty days of a presidential election, you are allowed to vote for President and Vice President in your former state of residence, either in person or by absentee ballot.[5]

I moved within Alaska.

If you move to a new address within the state, you should complete a new form to update your registration records. That form is available here:

The election is right around the corner and I never updated my registration from my previous address.  What should I do?

Many registered Alaskan voters who move are still entitled to cast a ballot that will be counted — even if they did not notify the appropriate election official about the move before Election Day.

Scenario One: New Address, but Same Polling Place

If you moved to a new address that is covered by the same polling place as your old address, you can vote a regular ballot at that polling place after confirming your change of address at the polling place. This is true regardless of how close to the election you moved.[6]

Scenario Two: New Address in New Polling Place, but Same State House District

If you moved to a new address within the same state house district but in a different polling place, you can vote a questioned ballot at the polling place associated with your news address.[7]  Your questioned ballot will be counted if your registration and voter qualifications can be verified, you signed the voter certification, and you provided identification at the polling place.[8]

Scenario Three: New Address and New Polling Place in New State House District

If you moved to a new address in a different state house district, you can vote by absentee ballot in your old house district as long as you resided in the previous house district at least thirty days.[9]  If you are in this circumstance, you may only vote on certain issues, such as statewide ballot measures and questions, candidates for federal or statewide offices, and in some cases, other races.[10]

[1] Alaska Stat. Ann. § 15.05.010(4) (2010).

[2] Alaska Stat. Ann. § 15.07.070(c)–(d).

[3] Alaska Stat. Ann. § 15.07.050(a); Alaska Admin. Code tit. 6, §25.685(l) (2010) (noting that in certain contexts, “electronic transmission” includes “electronic mail.”); State of Alaska Division of Elections, Elections – Online Tools, (last visited July 6, 2010).

[4] Alaska Stat. Ann. § 15.05.010(3).

[5] 42 U.S.C. § 1973aa-1(e) (2010).

[6] Alaska Stat. Ann. § 15.07.010 (2010).

[7] Alaska Stat. Ann. § 15.07.090(d).

[8] Alaska Admin. Code tit. 6, § 25.640 (2010).

[9] Alaska Stat. Ann. § 15.20.015.

[10] Alaska Stat. Ann. § 15.20.015.