Combating Policies That Target Vulnerable Communities
We’ve seen a disturbing surge in attacks on Muslim and other minority communities — sometimes from the highest levels of government. Religious and ethnic profiling is unconstitutional and un-American. We’re fighting to end it.
- We took President Trump to court over his disastrous Muslim ban.
- We’re fighting back against unnecessary and discriminatory “extreme vetting” policies that seek to stifle legal immigration.
- We exposed government programs that claim to counter violent extremism as intelligence-gathering operations that target Muslims.
Protecting Freedom in a Digital Age
Technological advances have given law enforcement and intelligence agencies more power than ever to surveil us — and many present challenges to our constitutional right to privacy. We fight to ensure these technologies are being used responsibly.
- We’re leaders in the fight to rein in overbroad foreign intelligence surveillance powers.
- We explain the risks of new surveillance technologies like facial recognition software.
- We warn when “cutting-edge” responses to tragic school shootings present hidden dangers.
- We’re tracking local law enforcement’s spending on social media monitoring.
Strengthening Checks on Executive Power
Increasingly, an out-of-control presidency threatens to trample the checks and balances that make our constitutional system work.
- Our bipartisan task force, chaired by Preet Bharara and Christine Todd Whitman, is crafting policies to bolster the rule of law.
- We exposed an epidemic of “secret law” in the executive branch and made concrete proposals to rein it in.
- We developed a comprehensive agenda outlining steps Congress can take to curb self-dealing by the country’s leaders.
Reframing the Second Amendment
We conduct in-depth analysis of the courts’ Second Amendment rulings, with an eye to building arguments that support a range of common-sense gun laws.